Monday, August 14, 2006

'Make more money or spend less'

I first came across this idea in the Sweet Valley High books, re-read it in Sophie Kinsella's 'Shopaholic' series and constantly try to come up with ways to implement the idea. Sadly, I seem to make only a small amount of money and spend rather a lot of it. I've put all my law school books on Amazon for sale. Yet no-one seems interested. I should probably list them on e-bay. It just seems a bit complicated to me. Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong.

So far my schemes include - making and selling cards, cake making, dog walking, selling essays, pole dancing. The first three are acceptable if time consuming (and beg the question who would I sell them to, where and how - the cards and cakes that is, not dogs) and I've questioned the other two on grounds of morality. As I'm having a pole dancing lesson this afternoon, you've probably guessed that I've no problem with the actual pole dancing. It's not even the thought I'd have to be naked (as I'm quite happy with my body); it's the idea of men leering, staring and paying money to watch me that doesn't sit so easily.

I'd like to get back into writing - that is, I write something and it is credited to me, not a student plagiarising my work for their essay deadline. Starting (and keeping up with) this blog was the first step, and I'm having great fun. It's stretching my bain just that little bit further than my current job, and allows me to ponder and analyse thoughts, ideas and reactions in my life. Even if at the moment it sounds rather more like a 'to-do' list/calendar than anything else. Ideally, I'd like to write on a freelance basis, paid, for someone or something about, well, ideally a subject that interests me, but if it's writing in exchange for money, then I guess I don't really mind (within reason) what that is. But therein lies the problem. I need to try and find people to write for, but there are thousands of people out there with the same aspirations. Or I need to come up with a new 'get rich quick' scheme - fast - which doesn't involve selling me or playing the lottery. A conundrum which I suspect has foiled many people for a very long time.

No comments: