Saturday, June 23, 2007

Birthday Weekend

The period of 23-26 June seems to contain a large number of my friends birthdays. I'm not sure what happens at the end of September to make it such a popular time to conceive a child but tomorrow is shared by my father and good friends S and C; the 24th is M and then H and K celebrate theirs on the 26th. So an expensive few days.

We took the train to Berkshire this afternoon to visit my parents and have supper with both sets of grandparents. This is the first year for several years that we have not gone to Glastonbury and the train we caught contained several of the stragglers who couldn't take the time off work and had missed Friday's performance. To my mind, it seems odd not to go for the whole festival; I would rather not go than only go for half. Anyhow, watching some of the action from the pyramid stage this evening on the BBC was rather peculiar. It was almost as if I was watching a performance that I had been to, as my brain couldn't seem to get around the fact that it hadn't been there, so familiar was the sight of the flags waving, silhouetted against the lights of the stage, the crowd cheering, dancing, singing and moving as one. The only difference is that I am warm and dry and not wearing a plastic coat and I can sleep in a proper bed. And judging from the Arctic Monkeys rather dismal performance, I'm not missing too much either (at the moment).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harumph. I was in London for a meeting on Thursday and ended up getting on a fast train home rammed with Glastonbury-goers; had to stand all the way back to Reading (cramped in the buffet car) then got told that everyone wanting local connections had to get off as the train was so busy it wouldn't be allowed to depart. Honestly. Everyone knows when Glastonbury is, why not just put some extra carriages on the trains for half a day.

Anonymous said...

Do you call all your friends by their initials? How strange.

Rachel said...

Of course I don't call all my friends by their initials when I talk to them in person (with one or two exceptions when their initials are also their nickname) but I do not wish to give away their identities on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Whoa Data Protection. I think it would be funnier if you substituted a name with another with the same initial. Call M Marmaduke, E Ebenezer, etc.